This is what a Prom looked like for my School in the Early 90's! This was the last year that all the Grads wore white. I think 1 girl wore all black? but I could be mistaken. There was a "grand march" which was a bunch of girls walking in a pattern around the Gym and finally arriving at the center in the form of our Grad year.
The reason for the white?We were an All Girls Catholic School. This school? is now closing. The Sisters of Notre Dame are no longer funding it's operations. While I attended it was rented out to the local school board. While I was attending it was the only all girls public school east of Montreal Canada. In the school there are pictures dating back from as early at 1920's( I think) just like this one. All the girls in white. I think part of the reason was it was like a coming out party?
Also the year after this was taken, they started doing the Grand Marches in the Local Hockey Rink/Civic Center. Of course, some schools in the area were bigger and had the "only bring a fellow student" to the Grand march rule. That didn't work out so well when we needed dates. We needed to find a date and bring him to the school. We also had to put him through the Grand March Training so he knew where to stand. The girls walked first, and then the picked up their dates on a walk by, and in the end it was very pretty. I don't know if anyone has a photo of the final shot. In the end it took us 3 rounds of This Trooper Classic for all the girls to arrive at the final spot, and all our parents, grandparents, and so on to get pictures. They also had a Father Daughter Dance before our parents all vanished to let us have our party!
Our Physic Teacher built us a Gazebo for having pictures taken in too. I wish I had a picture of that!
Yes I'm in there somewhere, but I'm not telling which one is me. I am standing near my friends. Mrsbigbluepete is in there too. shhhhh!!
This post has been written for The Spin Cycle.
Click along read some more Posts about Proms, some newer then this memory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Mrs. I'm totally going to need you to drop that picture off on your way to the island next time. :)
Good Lord, it's a white wedding prom!!!
Wow! They kaiboshed the all-girls school here many years ago, but it was around during my high school years. Only school that had uniforms. I wonder if their proms were like this too?
The all girls schools over here wear white muumuu's for graduation.
Post a Comment