It's a Week before Holy Week, next Sunday is Palm Sunday, and where was I this morning? Sitting in my pjs thanking God I wasn't in church? This is a huge struggle for me. I grew up in the every Sunday even if you are on deaths door, you go to church family. I know I should be there, I know that part of me wants my kids to know a Genuflect from a Kneel but the other part of me says I'd rather be home lately watching them run around and enjoy a lazy Sunday morning. No pressure to get out the door on time to catch a bus or rush to here and there. But why is 930 am now early in my mind? Why is 1015am for Sunday school early? Why is the 1130am mass early?
I will struggle with this I'm sure for the rest of my life because my "backup" parent here, doesn't bother. It's not something he ever gave any weight to, I knew that almost 19yrs ago but still I wish that someone would say "are we going" because really it's easier to go as a whole family then just me.
When I had my first son, I really enjoyed Mass on Sundays because it was an hour (drive to and from included) that I wasn't being needed for something. I got to sit and think and feel great after I got out. There are people at church, real live not inside a computer people. I can "shake hands" (when it's not Flu season) and smile and nod to my fellow Catholics.
The boys learn to sit still, but yet I still fight the urge to drag them out of their by their ears some Sundays. That feeling that all eyes are on us, as I say "SHHHHHHHHH, I can't hear the priest" or "We'll talk about it in the car, and boy will we talk" and the evil eye! My kids know the evil eye, that was something I learned well and use often for many sitations.
Next week we'll be there, it's an important week, we are not going to the Island so I'll be in mass here in town. I think some of the locals will be in shock. We'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I hear ya, a lazy Sunday morning would be so much nicer than sitting through a mass of "sit still, be quiet, don't hit your sister...." Do we get a free pass into heaven for all our effots???
I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I know you are a wonderful Mom and God knows that too.
I feel guilty about not going every week too, but mostly because my mom keeps asking me if I went. Geez, mom, I'm an adult now. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
I was raised Catholic and feel some of that Catholic guilt. When my son was 5 years old and I went to sign him up for their school, they would not take him because he is legally blind. Normal intelligence, but would need accommodations for blindness. No go. Not at THEIR school. Being a lifelong Catholic, I was disillusioned with my faith and found a Lutheran Church with which I am thrilled. Although that Catholic guilt is still there, it is diminishing. I LOVE this church, and have raised my 5 kiddos to be wonderful children and young adults through their ministry.
Lindsey Petersen
I grew up Catholic and switched to Presbyterianism in college. It is still hard when I miss a church service. More than anything I think God wants us to be in communion with Him and in community with other believers in church. It is hard to grow in faith and understanding on my own.
Thanks for stopping by.
I am so in love with peeps..
Post a Comment