Life is definitely a learning experience, I've been learning since the day I was born, I learned my Parent's voices, my family's love. I learned to walk, and bike and talk and talk and oh did I mention talk? Today while talking to a friend, I learned again. I learned that I miss my years of taking Business courses.
When I left University to go get married, I know it sounds like I'm a woman of the 1940-50's? no I was a woman of the 90's. I left my Business Degree program and got married.
My Hubbie was living 19hour drive away from me while I was going to University before the wedding. I had enough of school and wanted to be with him. I told my mother that I'd continue going to school. I promised I wouldn't let my education stop, so I signed up for a Business Diploma program in my new town. I worked part time in retail, I went to school part-time and I learned to be a wife, and cat mommy. We moved out of there before I finished my Diploma, so now I hold in my trails of learning 1/2 of a Business Degree and 1/2 of a Business Diploma. I had thought I'd do Human Resources. I didn't. We moved out of the country. I wasn't allowed to work in the new Country, I wasn't allowed (visa restrictions) to go to school there either. I could have fought hard to get a student visa but... I almost didn't mind but I had a back up plan. I did some distance education. The courses were interesting, the timing was all mine, I did it on my and my cats time. Hubbie travelled for work, he was away, the cat and I read our training books, we played Warcraft, we found IRC and ICQ and many friends inside the computer. The computer, I was susposed to be using that for my papers, and my learning. I found a way to talk to people, not just the cat. I continued to learn but those courses? While doing distance education I didn't keep on a time line. I could ask for extentions, I could blame that new baby that showed up, I could blame gallbladder surgery, I had excuses. I was still learning.
That was between 12-15yrs ago. Today I have 3 growing boys, they are learning daily. I'm learning daily how to parent and keep them interested in continuing their learning. Homework isn't fun but it can be... Some days I have more fun helping them then they have doing the work. I haven't finished any of those degrees or diplomas. I thought about being a Lactation Consultant but I realized that my personality just wasn't going to be the best help to some newly learning parents,(pushy isn't always wanted) that was something I was still learning. There are many ways to parent, many ways to build humans and keep them on the path to learning.
Today when talking to my friend on the phone and reading over her homework with her I remembered so many things I thought I had lost. Just because the university says your courses will not be transferable after 10yrs, doesn't mean the information isn't in there. It does stick, you can retain some of it, it just can come up and surprise you what you have learned how much you can keep on learning and adding to the pile of Learning. I'll continue to keep on learning, and growing being Me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm with you - I'm constantly learning.
Learning how to manage my own tendencies to not be a total slob, while learning how to teach my son not to be a slob.
Learning how to be healthy.
Learning how to rationalize with an irrational teenager.
Learning how to control my irrational thoughts toward irrational teenagers. :)
Good for you. Isn't it amazing the things that stick in your head?
Keep moving. Moving forward.
(And I completely agree with you, a pushy Lactation Consultant may not be the best thing ;-> )
Thanks for you prayers. They mean a lot.
I am still learning too.
Post a Comment