I think I've definitely come to the conclusion that if you haven't grown up within the Maritimes of Canada, you don't see what I've always seen.
Go Canada GO!
You've always been a country to be proud of, if you haven't been a flag waver before now? I didn't see it. My Aunts and Uncles had Canadian Flags at their cottages all my childhood. My Grandma had red and white stones along her driveway, painted beach rocks leading the path to her door and her driveway. I guess one could argue it was a colour scheme that just happened, but why?why was it red and white? When I came back to Canada for a visit after living in the USA for 2yrs, my parents pulled out a flag. They hung it in front of my then 8month old son, so that he would know what a Canadian Flag looked like. They did worry we wouldn't teach him anything about Canada while we lived in the big USA. They sang Oh Canada to him while they rocked him. I guess some of that sunk in because I came back to Canada before my oldest started going to School. We felt the pull to come back to Canada. Maybe we came for the family or maybe we came for that deep down pride that's still within us to BE Canadian, Live Canadian and Bring up little Canadians. Sure there were days that I call the older two sons my little Americans but it's a dig for my family. My boys know they are Canadian, their citizenship cards say so! My youngest was born here.
The Schools here in New Brunswick are definitely full of Canadian Pride, you can see it when you walk in the doors, and you hear it when the kids sing their Oh Canada. My kids know the words, and it brings me back to my elementary School years when everyday in Nova Scotia started with Oh Canada. We live in a beautiful country, and I always have and always will be proud of my country, with or without Olympic Games in my very very very far off back yard.
14 comments:
Loved your post today! I too am a very proud Canadian every day.
Well said. And do your kids sing it every morning? We did when I was in school, but in my oldests school they only do it on Mondays.
PS. I drove past the Oval this afternoon and you'd swear we were in Holland.
It is great to be proud of where you live.. I am too.
Good for you!! It's very important to be proud of your roots. I'm cheering for team USA but I get a tear of pride in my eye for those who get to stand up there and hear "Oh Canada" knowing they won on home turf. It must be a wonderful feeling.
Go Olympians!!!!
Waving my flag!! Great post:)
Thanks for stopping by. I didn't realize how proud I was to be from where I am from until I visited another country.
You should be proud of your home country! Truth be told, I'm a lot like Rebecca up there....If an American can't win it had BETTER be a Canadian! ;-)
I absolutely LOVE Canada! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE It!
I grew up visiting relatives every summer in Vancouver. I'm sad I didn't make a trip to the eastern part of Canada when I lived in NYC.
When the Olympics began I heard an NBC reporter state that Canadian's aren't as loud (I take that to mean 'obnoxious') as Americans and that might come across as not being proud of their countrymen. That made me laugh. Showing dignity and poise comes across as nonchalance? I don't think so.
I love Oregon however, I'd move if the circumstance arose. No problem!
What a wonderful post - so neat to learn more about Canada, your thoughts after being in the US for that time, and how the family keeps Canada important for the kids.
Patriotism is a wonderful, wonderful thing!
Being a Minnesotan I often feel more affinity to Canada simply because of the closeness. Not that I am not a proud American but I share living in the frozen tundra with many Canadians so therefor we are brethren.
Thanks for stopping by and saying
Happy 90th to my Grandma..
Boo!
Post a Comment